POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nobody will read this : Re: Nobody will read this Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nobody will read this
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 27 Jul 2013 03:51:44
Message: <51f37c10@news.povray.org>
On 26/07/2013 11:45 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I'm going to talk about Haskell. Specifically, I'm going to implement a
>> trivial Mandelbrot renderer in Haskell.
>
> Then you wonder why functional programming isn't more popular.

Gabe Newell said something similar. "Whenever I see Haskell code
examples, they're always utterly trivial crap like Fibonacci numbers or
the factorial function, not large, complex real-world stuff. Haskell may
be good for small toy programs, but it's useless in the real-world."

Which is a bit like saying "Whenever I see C example code, it's always
trivial stuff like Hello World, or Quicksort, not large, complex
real-world stuff. C may be good for small toy programs, but it's useless
in the real-world."

*Obviously* in introductory exploration of any programming language is
going to consist of trivial stuff that's not useful in the real-world.
They're called "example programs" for a reason. :-P