POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CSG Challenge : Re: CSG Challenge Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Challenge
From: Shay
Date: 26 Jul 2013 09:12:39
Message: <51f275c7$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka"  wrote in message news:51f25051$1@news.povray.org...

> - CSG scene: Any scene that defines all its complex shapes as unions,
> merges, intersections and/or differences of less complex solid shapes
> (which in turn might also be defined this way); after all, that is exactly
> what "CSG" means: "Constructive Solid Geometry". (In the strict sense this
> would even allow for meshes, provided they have an inside_vector, but I'd
> be ok with still disallowing them.)

> - Hand-coded scene: Any scene that was created using nothing more than a
> text editor and POV-Ray itself.

> The two terms are perfectly orthogonal: The shapes in a CSG scene can be
> both hand-coded and/or created with a CSG modeling tool, and a hand-coded
> scene can have both CSG shapes and/or non-CSG shapes.

Not perfectly, we can quibble on the definition of "strict sense" you
mentioned above. Even a triangle, can be replaced by a compound (ok,
difference) of planes.

If linear prisms are allowed, will curved prisms be allowed as well? I don’t
completely disagree with allowing linear prisms as a shortcut, but there's
something nice about being able to say a shape is made from planes, spheres,
boxes, cones, cylinders, and tori (rings). These shapes (ok, maybe not
planes) are known to children. Most people think of a prism as something to
make rainbows out of sunlight.

-Shay