POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interdimensional slices : Re: Interdimensional slices Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interdimensional slices
From: clipka
Date: 26 Jul 2013 00:16:16
Message: <51f1f810@news.povray.org>
Am 25.07.2013 19:24, schrieb Nekar Xenos:
> Now for the part that I don't understand at all:
>
> I have heard it mentioned in scientific news that scientists have found
> the fourth dimension and measured it.
> How can you measure a dimension? I don't understand that. If the 4th
> dimension has a "thickness", what then is the thickness of the 3rd
> dimension. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Those news actually make no sense for yet another reason: Scientists
around the world should know better than to call a newly discovered
dimension the "4th dimension", as the term is already firmly associated
with time.

But yes, there is some sense to measuring a dimension: Imagine the
universe was made up of only one spacetime dimension, and one additional
dimension curled up in a small loop; the universe would then have the
shape of a cylinder surface stretching into infinity(*) along the
spacetime dimension. But the other dimension would be finite, and could
probably be measured.

(*Alternatively, spacetime might also be finite, but on a much larger
scale, in which case we'd get a torus surface.)

String theory postulates that there are indeed - AFAIR - about half a
dozen extra dimensions, and it is suggested that they may indeed all be
curled up in this manner, with sizes roughly on the scale of sub-atomic
particles.