POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CSG Challenge : Re: CSG Challenge Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:31:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Challenge
From: Shay
Date: 25 Jul 2013 15:09:23
Message: <51f177e3$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka"  wrote in message news:51f0ca6b@news.povray.org...
> You'd actually have to ask Chris Cason whether that Wishlist still exists;
> I /think/ the books and hardware that were on that list have all been
> donated by now.

I think I found the list. You're right: empty. Every programmer I know is
constantly reading books. Someone should put something up there.

> So what you are saying is that you also beveled the transition between the
> "petals" and the tori forming the end of the small-hole extrusions; is
> that the essence of it?

I /think/ so. For each small hole, I used 1 object for the hole, 1 object to
bound, and 16 objects to build the extrusion, though the 16 could be
optimized to 14. That's probably where the majority of the object count
difference can be found.

> Sounds like you used clipping as a substitute for intersection, is that
> what you're saying?

Correct. I didn't sit down and count intersection tests to make sure that
was the most efficient way. Maybe it isn't.

> Okay, okay - I'll try to come up with formulae for all those parameters...

As far as I'm concerned, hand-coding is hand-coding, by hook or by crook
(though my way seems a lot more fun).

Priggish professional programmers are the reason I don't post code in these
forums. One told me that I shouldn't be coding algorithms if I don't know
what a stack is. That's like my saying he shouldn't be writing newsgroup
posts if he doesn't know what a chiasmus is.

-Shay