POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CSG Challenge : Re: CSG Challenge Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Challenge
From: Shay
Date: 24 Jul 2013 20:46:51
Message: <51f0757b$1@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote in message

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I come up with just 215 primitives + 69
> containers (while for some reason I don't understand POV-Ray reports 82
> finite objects and no infinite ones).

NICE!!!!! And I'll bet it just so happens you're just the person to ask
about that POV-team Amazon wishlist.

> Not using bounding though, which
> makes it pretty slow to render, and I have no idea why I would want to
> use clipping.

Bounding objects will account for a lot of the difference. You mentioned
"containers"--not sure what you meant there if you didn't mean bounding.

Plus--and I'm not certain--it looks like your small-hole extrusions are
capped with tori. Mine are slightly curved then rounded with tiny tori. If
I'm right, there should be a difference of 24*8 objects there.

I used clipping on the tori, but that may not have been wise. You know a lot
more about the internal workings of POV than I do.

> This is only proof of concept for the CSG though, with some of the
> object placement parameters just being tweaked until they fit, rather
> than having POV-Ray compute them automatically.

BOO! Close enough, though.

 -Shay