POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stochastic Anti-Aliasing : Re: Stochastic Anti-Aliasing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastic Anti-Aliasing
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2013 07:43:49
Message: <51efbdf5@news.povray.org>
Am 24.07.2013 11:50, schrieb Mr:

>> More importantly however, in the branch I'm working on the new
>> anti-aliasing mode will serve as a key component to speed up renders
>> that combine multiple features that rely on some kind of oversampling,
>> like focal blur, area lights, media, SSLT and (coming later) blurred
>> reflections.
>
> Why a branch instead of a predefined version number that would wait this feature
> to get counted, like 3.7.5?
>
> Is this because you feel it has too many drawbacks to make it to trunk ever?

There are plenty of reasons for this.

First, I guess that users would rather test-drive these patches than
just being teased with test scenes - and as a matter of fact I myself am
itching to see the community test-drive it and provide feedback.

Second, the approach is quite different to what POV-Ray is doing now,
and will need thorough community testing before even deciding whether it
is worth including in POV-Ray proper.

Third, in the past POV-Ray has seen quite a bunch of patches, so we
should expect POV-Ray 3.7 to be patched as well, and I think it would be
good to establish some standards, best practices and easy-to-use
building blocks for patches and patch collections; a good tool to this
end would be some "prototype branch". I intend the branch I'm working on
to double-feature for this exact purpose, both in the sense of begin a
testbed for establishing those standards, best practices and building
blocks in the first place, as well as serving as a reference for future
branches.

> what kind of licence would this branch use?

It will be published under the Affero GNU General Puplic License (AGPL),
a variation of the GPL.