POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over : Re: Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hell has officially frozen over
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 23 Jul 2013 13:47:03
Message: <51eec197$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/07/2013 02:27 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I especially enjoy how "and" sometimes means "or", and "or" sometimes
>> means "and". No wonder students suck at Boolean algebra! :-D
>
> I find it more interesting that the same word "or" is used in speech
> for "inclusive or" and "exclusive or", yet it very rarely, if ever,
> causes any confusion.

Like I said, sometimes "or" clearly means "and", and vice versa, and yet
everybody understands this.

I suspect the mind does some kind of heuristic search, utterly ignoring
the word actually presented, and heuristically determines what
conjunction would actually make sense.

This is the "common sense" which humans possess and machines famously do
not. (Cue every Star Trek: The Next Generation episode involving
Commander Data's search for humanity...)