POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over : Re: Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hell has officially frozen over
From: Warp
Date: 23 Jul 2013 09:27:23
Message: <51ee84bb@news.povray.org>
> I especially enjoy how "and" sometimes means "or", and "or" sometimes
> means "and". No wonder students suck at Boolean algebra! :-D

I find it more interesting that the same word "or" is used in speech
for "inclusive or" and "exclusive or", yet it very rarely, if ever,
causes any confusion.

For instance, if you say something like "the price includes a cup of
coffee or tea", nobody will think that the price includes both. It's
quite clearly an exclusive "or".

However, if you say "the job requires a degree in mathematics or
computer science", it's quite clear that it's in no way an impediment
if you have a degree in both. It's clearly an inclusive "or".

Are there any practical situations where this can cause confusion?

--
                                                          - Warp