POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stochastic Anti-Aliasing : Re: Stochastic Anti-Aliasing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:31:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastic Anti-Aliasing
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jul 2013 00:58:56
Message: <51ee0d90@news.povray.org>
Am 23.07.2013 04:05, schrieb Cousin Ricky:

> In my experience, method 2 works better for most scenes, but method 1
> (non-adaptive) wins hands down for checkered planes.  I have achieved results
> similar to your 2nd and 3rd images using method 1 with jitter (+AM1 +J).  What
> is the advantage of your new method over method 1?  Is it adaptive like method
> 2?

Yes, indeed; it uses an approach similar to the oversampling implemented
in focal blur (but takes neighboring pixels into account to do its
adaptive thing).

Method 1 with jitter does indeed do a comparatively good job; but its
quality settings don't always scale well, as the attached image
demonstrates - this was rendered with +am1 and extremely high-quality
settings (+a0.01 +r9). Fun fact: With a lower numbr of samples, the
artifacts in the distance didn't show.

More importantly however, in the branch I'm working on the new
anti-aliasing mode will serve as a key component to speed up renders
that combine multiple features that rely on some kind of oversampling,
like focal blur, area lights, media, SSLT and (coming later) blurred
reflections.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'am1.png' (198 KB)