POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Going the other way : Re: Going the other way Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Going the other way
From: clipka
Date: 22 Jul 2013 04:09:21
Message: <51ece8b1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.07.2013 09:00, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> Very nice indeed.
>
> Question:
>> The image shows a 3D-printed object, which when viewed from the right
>> direction
>> looks like an impossible triangle. It has been printed in stainless
>> steel, with
>> a Bronze Plate finish. In the background you see an image created by
>> POV-Ray.
>
> /printed in stainless steel/ ?? I think you mean something else than I
> do read... :-)

That's the marvels of modern 3D printing.

AFAIK shapeways actually print a wax model, and then die-cast it in
bronze steel; but there are 3D printers out there that work directly
with bare metal, using either sintering or depositing processes.

You can also get your stainless steel with a gold plating, and solid
sterling silver is another option (they do use some direct process for
the latter). Or how about glazed ceramic?