POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 21 Jul 2013 11:12:35
Message: <51ebfa63$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/21/2013 12:34 AM, Warp wrote:
> Kevin Wampler <nob### [at] nowherenet> wrote:
>>    I agree with limits that it's a notational shortcut, but there are
>> many many other ways of defining infinity quantities, and some of them
>> behave quite a bit like numbers.
>
> So how do you define infinity so that it's a number?

I would count any of the following, but you may find the last two to be
better examples than the first two:

1) cardinal numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_number
2) ordinal numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinal_number
3) extended complex plane: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sphere
4) surreal numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surreal_number

There are probably plenty of other ways too, but these are the ones that
come to mind for me.