POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 20 Jul 2013 14:48:49
Message: <51eadb91$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/20/2013 11:28 AM, Warp wrote:
> Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I was thinking of adding any particular infinity to itself.
>
> In a sense, adding infinity to itself doesn't make any sense because
> infinity is not a number. It's a concept used to describe an abstraction.

Huh?  Certainly infinity isn't an integer/real/rational/etc, but there
are consistent and sensible definitions for "number" which include
infinity(s) (I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, so maybe I'm missing
your point?).

Of course infinity is *also* used as an abstraction (as in the case with
limits you mention), but this doesn't mean that in other cases you can't
use it as a perfectly fine number.