POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Glass balls, via bullet physics : Re: Glass balls, via bullet physics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glass balls, via bullet physics
From: clipka
Date: 20 Jul 2013 13:54:28
Message: <51eaced4$1@news.povray.org>
Just picking up on old posts I hadn't found the time to read, so here's
some quite late reply...

Am 27.05.2013 19:52, schrieb Samuel Benge:

> It would be great if POV-Ray got a render engine overhaul sometime. What I am
> specifically thinking of here is if focal blur + dispersion were combined, to be
> able to use a low dispersion_samples value that would be multiplied by the
> camera's blur_samples value, to save time when rendering both.

Currently working on something along those lines, actually.

> Same thing with
> radiosity: multiply "count" by the camera's focal blur samples.

As for the combination of focal blur and radiosity, that won't fly,
because radiosity samples are cached and re-used, so you don't get
<blur_samples> * <radiosity count> secondary rays anyway. (That's
actually the difference in technique between POV-Ray and MCPov as far as
indirect illumination is concerned.)

It should work though for the combination of radiosity and other
multi-sample effects, such as radiosity and area lights. (Not sure off
the top of my head whether radiosity sampling currently honors area
lights or just simplifies them to point lights.)