POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 19 Jul 2013 19:19:05
Message: <51e9c969$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/19/2013 4:06 PM, clipka wrote:

> I guess what he meant was that some
>
>    ComplexInfinity := an infinite that behaves much like a
>                       complex number, and possibly even has
>                       a representation of the form (a + bi)
>                       for some presumably weird choice of a,b
>
> Gives you
>
>    ComplexInfinity + ComplexInfinity = <undefined>

This is indeed what I meant by "complex infinity".  As far as I'm aware,
it's not decomposable into the form a+bi where "a" and "b" are real,
since doing so would require a "real infinity" which is distinct from
the complex infinity (I mean, you probably *could* define such a thing,
but I've never seen it done).

Good catch that Nekar was using "complex infinity" in a different way
than I was thinking he was.