POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over : Re: Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hell has officially frozen over
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Jul 2013 18:50:23
Message: <51e9c2af$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 00:31:27 +0200, Stephen wrote:

> On 20/07/2013 12:09 AM, clipka wrote:

>>> Do you have any idea why Americans call us Limeys?
>>
>> Because (or so claims Wikipedia) your forefathers, when going to sea,
>> added lemon or lime juice to their grog to prevent scurvy.
>>
>> Germans used Sauerkraut for the same purpose (or so I've heard tell),
>> hence the Americans calling us Krauts.
>>
>> Not sure what the Americans used themselves; I must presume they were
>> just too plain stupid to do anything about it :-P
>>

> They used lemons which are a better source of vitamin C.

Not initially, though.  They used "rob", which was a mix of sauerkraut
and a concentrated fruit juice mixture, which was boiled.  Well, I guess
the fruit juice concentrate could have been (or had as a component)
lemon, so fair play on that. :)

> There was some skulduggery going on at the time between us and the rest
> of the world. And no one would sell the Brits lemons. So we used limes
> from one of the islands in the Caribbean. Hence Limeys.

First recorded use of "Lime juicer" (which became "limey") to refer to a
Brit was 1859.

Jim