POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over : Re: Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hell has officially frozen over
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jul 2013 18:09:40
Message: <51e9b924$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.07.2013 23:55, schrieb Stephen:
> On 19/07/2013 11:48 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> According to Wikipedia, it also measures beer, cornmeal, Portland
>>> cement, sugar, flour, lime and cranberries.
>>
>> I should perhaps clarify that it's "lime" as in calcium hydroxide, not
>> as in the fruit. (How would THAT work?? Then again, cranberries...)
>
> Do you have any idea why Americans call us Limeys?

Because (or so claims Wikipedia) your forefathers, when going to sea,
added lemon or lime juice to their grog to prevent scurvy.

Germans used Sauerkraut for the same purpose (or so I've heard tell),
hence the Americans calling us Krauts.

Not sure what the Americans used themselves; I must presume they were
just too plain stupid to do anything about it :-P