POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jul 2013 15:13:46
Message: <51e98fea@news.povray.org>
Am 19.07.2013 20:54, schrieb Nekar Xenos:

> Maybe I should start with something simpler.
>
> Infinity + Infinity = ?
>
> Is there any other answer than 2(Infinity)?

Yes: Infinity + Infinity = Infinity.

> If so please explain.

I can't. I guess it's just the way infinity is defined.

Note that there's no such thing as infinity in real life, so there's no
"natural" way of dealing with infinity. It's an artificial construct,
and as such is defined in a way that applying the "natural" rules of
arithmetic to it does't yield results too useless for too many
applications too much of the time.