POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity interact with scattering Media? : Re: Radiosity interact with scattering Media? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity interact with scattering Media?
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jul 2013 14:55:15
Message: <51e98b93$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.07.2013 20:43, schrieb jceddy:
> Is there any way to get Radiosity to interact with scattering Media?
>
> In the left side of the attached image I have a point light inside a
> media-filled shell and it looks the way I would expect.
>
> On the right side I replace the light with a white sphere with ambient 1 and
> turn on radiosity...in this case the light doesn't interact with the scattering
> media at all.
>
> Is there a way to do it?

What you're trying to do seems to be...

>    radiosity {
>      pretrace_start 0.08           // start pretrace at this size
>      pretrace_end   0.04           // end pretrace at this size
>      count 35 //50 //35                      // higher -> higher quality
> (1..1600) [35]
>      nearest_count 5 //7 //5               // higher -> higher quality (1..10)
> [5]
>      error_bound 1.8               // higher -> smoother, less accurate [1.8]
>      recursion_limit 3             // how much interreflections are calculated
> (1..5+) [3]
>      low_error_factor .5           // reduce error_bound during last pretrace
> step
>      gray_threshold 0.0            // increase for weakening colors (0..1) [0]
>      minimum_reuse 0.015           // reuse of old radiosity samples [0.015]
>      brightness 1 //.75 //.25 //1                  // brightness of radiosity
> effects (0..1) [1]
>
>      adc_bailout 0.01/2
>      normal on                   // take surface normals into account [off]
>      media on                    // take media into account [off]

... kind of the opposite of this last statement.

"radiosity { media on }" causes light /from/ media (either scattered or
emitted) to be taken into account when computing how much light a
surface receives from sources other than traditional light sources.

If I understand you correctly, then you want POV-Ray to compute how much
light the /media/ receives from sources other than traditional light
sources.

If that is your intention, then the answer to your question is a simple
yet unsatisfactory "No". MCPov might support it (and it should, given
that it doesn't support traditional light sources at all), but I'm not
entirely sure about that.