POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over : Re: Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hell has officially frozen over
From: scott
Date: 19 Jul 2013 06:26:52
Message: <51e9146c$1@news.povray.org>
> It doesn't matter which measurement system is used: If you have grown up
> using it, it will feel "most natural" to you. To a person who has grown
> up using the metric system it feels the most natural.

Indeed, and a way to judge which one is "better" is to look at what
happens when people are forced to change and stop using the old system
completely.

In the UK in 1971 we changed from using a pound divided into 20
shillings and a shilling in 12 pence to the new "metric" system of 100
pence in a pound. Everyone was forced to make the change, you couldn't
continue with the old system. Initially people complained and got
confused, but very quickly afterwards everybody realised it was a far
superior and easier to use system. *Nobody* I have ever spoken to (who
was alive at the time) would want to go back to the old system and
everyone generally thinks it was a good decision. At the time however I
bet there were loads of people against it. People just don't like change.