POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over : Re: Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hell has officially frozen over
From: scott
Date: 19 Jul 2013 03:56:32
Message: <51e8f130$1@news.povray.org>
> The imperial system was not developed to make calculations easier but
> people's lives easier.

It just evolved as a mish-mash of whatever units people found best to be
using individually for certain things. Nobody "designed" the system as a
whole to work together.

> If you have been brought up with it you will know
> how it describes the external world in a way that relates to human
> scales.

You obviously find it easier only because you were brought up with it,
for almost every other country in the world they find metric easier
because that's what they were brought up with.

Also inches aren't suited for things the width of a human or smaller,
which is exactly why you end up using crazy fractions like 3/8, 5/16 and
29/32. I bet most people you stopped in the street wouldn't be able to
add those 3 numbers together (and many probably couldn't even tell you
the smallest). Or tell you how long it would be if you needed 1000 lots
of 5/16. Try the same with 8, 9 and 23 mm it's - trivial.