POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : EoG: Pyroclastic flow : Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Jul 2013 03:41:32
Message: <51e8edac$1@news.povray.org>
On 18-7-2013 20:01, MichaelJF wrote:
> I think as with all things in nature not all can be classified into the one or
> other category. I think the eruption with the following link is a mixture of a
> pyroclastic flow and a magma eruption (and the most magnificent eruption I ever
> found depicted):
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/MountRedoubtEruption.jpg

True. The typical pyroclastic flow /sensu stricto/ runs along the
topographic slope of the mountain. The lighter ash goes upwards. While
the composition is identical, the pyroclastic flow is the coarser one
and also to be found at the base of a typical tephra deposits, covered
with an ash layer. They can show internal graded bedding but this is
often obscured by the gas turbulence and the high density of the whole
thing.

Thomas