POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My Hammer [wip 1] : Re: My Hammer [wip 1] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My Hammer [wip 1]
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Jul 2013 03:22:54
Message: <51e8e94e$1@news.povray.org>
On 19-7-2013 7:12, Stephen wrote:
> On 18/07/2013 8:45 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Hammers are very rarely made of stainless steel. Some are chromed,
>> usualy with a very thin chrome coat that is easily worn away under
>> normal use. Some times, it's not even chrome but a protective varnish or
>> some other material.
>
> This is true, I have never held a geologist hammer and I doubt they are
> made of stainless steel. I expect that they are made of hardened steel.
> I have used copper headed hammers and rubber hammers when you really
> don't want sparks. Not much use to a geologist, I imagine. ;-)

Hardened steel it is I think, certainly not stainless indeed. When my
hammer was new, there was a thin coating of varnish iirc, but no chrome.
Exposed to all kind of weather and use, and variable conditions of
storage, it became what it is now: dented, scratched, some rusty pits.
Sometimes after cleaning, I have lightly oiled the steel for protection.

Stephen, I now can see the scene of some dumb guy using a rubber hammer
on a metamorphic outcrop! Reason: sparks could start a forest fire ;-)

Which reminds me of other hazards. If you missed your hit and
miscalculated the swing, the kneecap could be in the way... I have heard
blood curdling curses often enough. And the stone splinters flying
around and cutting scalps or cheeks. We did not have (use?) safety
glasses, so the typical scene was somebody hitting a rock with averted
head, or with his forearm in front of his eyes. Do you understand now
about the kneecaps? :-)

Thomas