POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : EoG: Pyroclastic flow : Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow
From: Stephen
Date: 19 Jul 2013 01:01:04
Message: <51e8c810$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/07/2013 8:11 AM, MichaelJF wrote:

> Thank you Stephen, yes a magnifying would show the trees but I think it would be
> a bit disturbing to the scene.

Yes it would make it a bit like a newspaper article graphic.

>> How did you create the cloud?
>
> First I played with Rune's particle system to find a believable ground flow. If
> one finds the correct position and size of the emitter object it is fine to find
> the general direction of flows. But it has its limitations since the particles
> interact only with the mountain in this case and not with each other. Then I
> created ten layers of the cloud using the particles and for each cloud ist
> predecessors as the ground object in a modified version of Gilles Tran's
> makecloud2 macro (mainly allowing for different directions and using a gaussian
> distribution than his uniform). For his tomography I grouped them into four
> groups at the moment. The resulting df3-files were used as different media in
> the same box. Rendering time is now some 5 hours.

That is the fun bit, experimenting. :-)
If your media containers are the same size you can combine them into one
interior. I have done this to get colour by using red, green and blue
df3 files. Well three df3 files each with a different emission.
This might speed up the render if it is suitable to your scene.

> Take a look at this:
> http://www.maniacworld.com/erupting-volcano.htm

A sight indeed. To be enjoyed at a distance.

>> google have lots of white in them. But that is, I think, being very
>> critical.
>
> I don't think it very critical. I plan to work a little bit on the colors and
> the densities. May be I
> change the grouping of the clouds.

We await with interest.

--