POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : EoG: Pyroclastic flow : Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: EoG: Pyroclastic flow
From: Alain
Date: 18 Jul 2013 15:04:02
Message: <51e83c22@news.povray.org>

> Hi folks,
>
> I hesitated a while to give you this image, since it is far away from being
> finished. It depicts a certain kind of volcanic eruption, a so called
> pyroclastic flow. That is an Eruption of a mixture of gases and ashes first
> described by Pliny the Younger who witnessed the downfall of Pompeji. I think
> the flow itself is looking good enough now - may be some play with the grays is
> needed for the "layers" of the media. But what to do with this empty areas? The
> scale of the image is a region of some 20 km^2 viewed at an altitude of 5 km.
> The mountain happens to be Mount Rainier near Seattle, since very detailed
> hight_field data are available at Georgia Tech. I modelled the flow - and
> especially his extend - after the hazard map given in the Wikipedia and pictures
> of other pyroclastic flows. The problem is the shear scale of the image. To have
> a tree recognizable I would have it 150 m high at least. I have no problem to
> scale things a little bit higher as they are in reallity, but 10 times? I will
> be thankful for every idea. My only one so far is, to look through the window of
> a plane, just to reduce the problem a little bit.
>
> If you understand German, the file name states some flaws with the ground flows
> I'm repairing at the moment but cannot be seen with this prespective.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael

Prety good so far.

I'd make the clouds much more dence and more to the white side.

As for the trees, at that scale, you only need the simplest, and small,
place holders: Small leaf green sphere and cones. Use a colour map of
greens and apply it the the bunch as a somewhat turbulated bozo
pattern... Just enough to suggest that there are actualy trees in the area.

Alain