POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A curious perversion of the English language : Re: A curious perversion of the English language Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A curious perversion of the English language
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Jul 2013 01:08:04
Message: <51e77834@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 22:20:23 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 17/07/2013 09:56 PM, Stephen wrote:
>> So, you are enjoying your new job, then?
>
> Yeah, at the moment it's OK. Sometimes I wish for a little more
> recognition - I just build an entire remote control framework, build a
> test framework on top of that, and then built a SpecFlow library on top
> of that, in addition to cleaning and implementing over 150 tests. I
> doubt anybody else in our office could have made this nice a job of
> it... but maybe I'm just deluding myself.

I find that particularly in the IT and technical fields, recognition is
difficult.  Many managers I've worked for even admitted that they sucked
at it.

I don't think you're deluding yourself - the description you gave of what
you've been working on is something I understand, but I only know a
handful of people who could have done it.  Job well done, Andy.

>> Admit it. We were right, you were wasted in your old one.
>
> Oh, I thought I admitted that a long time ago. The contention was
> whether I *could* get another job, not whether I *should*...

You managed it a few weeks after being laid off.  It took me 4 months to
find something that is essentially part-time (and 2 years later, I'm
still doing it).  I've just applied for a position at a very large
software company, but we'll see how the interview process goes (it's a
large enough company that you don't talk to their "recruiter community",
you have a liaison that you work through for a few weeks.  That's a
liaison to the *recruiters*, not to the hiring managers).

Jim