POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sky simulation : Re: Sky simulation: what is wrong with this particular code? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sky simulation: what is wrong with this particular code?
From: clipka
Date: 16 Jul 2013 23:03:31
Message: <51e60983$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.07.2013 16:43, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
>> While we're at it this also causes an error (even if the definition for
>> A is in a different file):
>>
>> #macro A()
>> #end
>> #macro B()
>> #local A=1;
>> #end
>> B()
>>
>> This one is a bit more serious as it means if any macro in your scene
>> uses a local variable with the same name as another macro you'll get an
>> error.
>
> This is a known problem, although I do not know that the POV Team perceives it
> as a problem.  When I brought it up 5 years ago, I was quoted documentation of
> macro names being global in scope, which was just a red herring.  This behavior
> breaks the very concept of local variables and makes "black box" modularization
> impossible.

The current POV-Ray development team (*) does perceive the whole 3.x
generation SDL parser as one big monolithic problem :-P

(* or "dev team" for short; I guess that's what you mean. There did
exist some group of people called the "POV Team", but they were focused
on user support rather than development.)