POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Boost library requirements : Re: Boost library requirements Server Time
17 May 2024 04:44:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boost library requirements
From: clipka
Date: 15 Jul 2013 19:45:22
Message: <51e48992$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.06.2013 14:50, schrieb Jonathan:

>> Did you install the libboost-thread1.49-dev package ?
>
> That's where the problem was.  Apparently I had libboost-thread1.50-dev and a
> bunch of other ~~1.50 stuff installed, which isn't what POV-Ray is looking for.
> I just let apt-get do its thing and hoped I didn't clobber my system:

>> IIRC, you might need LIBS="-lboost_system" on the configure line to have
>> the boost_thread-mt usable.
> Nope, didn't need to use that...
>> Do not ask why.

In theory and an ideal world, things should work fine with the 1.50
package just as it does with 1.49; POV-Ray doesn't ask for any
particular boost version by default, and it shouldn't matter which of
the two boost versions you have installed.

Unfortunately our world is not ideal; it appears that the boost
developers have made a breaking change in the boost_thread library, to
the effect that it no longer works without also linking in the
boost_system library - which the POV-Ray makefile doesn't yet do by itself.

So, in theory and a non-ideal world, LIBS="-lboost_system" might indeed
get the thing working with boost 1.50 as well. Not sure what happens in
practice though :-P