POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 13 Jul 2013 16:56:15
Message: <51e1beef$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/07/2013 09:16 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I was under the impression that if you allow infinitely long decimal
>> expansions then all reals are representable.
>
> The question would thus be: Can the set of real numbers be represented
> with digits chosen from a finite set?
>
> Or even: Does an infinite amount of digits (chosen from a finite set)
> become uncountably infinite? Doesn't that go contrary to the notion of
> countable sets?

No.

Consider for a moment the set of all natural numbers, N. This is (by
definition) a countable set. Yet the set of all possible subsets of N is
*uncountable*. And that's just plain ordinary subsets; the decimal
expansion of a number is not merely a subset of N but an *ordered
sequence* of digits. Intuitively it sounds like there should be *more*
of these. (But, as with many things in set theory, it turns out actually
the cardinalities are the same.)

Wikipedia explicitly mentions this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinality_of_the_continuum#Alternative_explanation_for