POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface woes : Re: Isosurface woes Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface woes
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 13 Jul 2013 08:27:03
Message: <51e14797$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/12/2013 09:18 AM, jceddy wrote:

Where you are intersecting the infinite cylinder function with the built
in rounded box function, I would recommend avoiding 0 rounding for the
corners. In my experience f_rounded_box performance is an order of
magnitude or more faster when even a little (0.02) rounding is specified.

You'd need to adjust the intersection f_rounded_box x and z scaling by
adding the rounding used else the rounded corners show up in the
resulting shape.

max(sqrt(pow(_x,2) + pow(_z,2)) - _rad, \
     f_rounded_box(_x, _y, _z, 0, _rad+rd,_len/2, _rad+rd))

Thinking aloud: I'm guessing others responding recommended subtracting
the crackle function instead of adding because in subtracting any
function returning values >=0, the shape is made larger. In other words,
using subtraction here removes any chance the addition of the crackle
shrinks the shape, or parts of it, to nothing.

Bill P.