POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lost my hammer... : Re: Lost my hammer... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lost my hammer...
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 11 Jul 2013 03:40:57
Message: <51de6189$1@news.povray.org>
On 11-7-2013 0:57, Samuel Benge wrote:
> Good brand! I've had mine for about 14 years or so now, and it's badly in need
> of a second sharpening already. (The ground doesn't dig itself... well sometimes
> it does.) I'm looking forward to seeing your model when you finish it!
Do you have the pick or shovel model? Mine is a pick model and the point
is fairly rounded now although still able to neatly insert itself in
crevices. The head part is now badly chipped in places but I love it
that way; showing its age and wear & tear ;-)  The leather handle is
fairly roughened now. In dry environments it needs a bath from time to
time when the leather rings dry out and contract. Oh well... a bit of
nostalgic talking, don't I? I am not going much places anymore these days...

The hammer model is progressing smoothly.

> I'm not sure increasing the max_gradient is necessary, as all that does is fill
> in the holes. If anything, you may need to lower the isosurface's accuracy if
> you intend to lower the radiosity's count.

I am indeed also using a max_gradient of 10 in my scene. THe accuracy
presently is 0. As radiosity count I use the adaptive method, presently
50, 1000. I generally leave it at that, but I probably can lower the
lower end more. I shall test that.

> One of my isosurface tests has been posted to the TC-EOG-RTC thread:
>
> http://tinachepforum.forumup.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=3636&mforum=tinachepforum#3636
>
> That image rendered in 5 minutes 39 seconds, which isn't too bad, all things
> considered.

Yes, that is very fast.

> An important thing to keep in mind is to always have enough small details on
> your surfaces by using things like surface normals and/or and low isosurface
> accuracies. Low aa settings help a great deal as far as speeding things up as
> well.

Yep.

Thomas