POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Saved : Re: Saved Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saved
From: scott
Date: 10 Jul 2013 03:32:57
Message: <51dd0e29$1@news.povray.org>
>> A story also tells that Google was accidentally scanning the SSID's
>> while shooting photos for Google Maps, plotting the WLAN's and routers
>> on the map.
>>
> Accidentally?
>
> I think they the whole bottle on purpose.

Of course, that's probably where they have the database from! I don't
think people were complaining about scanning and storing the SSID (or
rather MAC), it was the fact that Google was saving all the packet data
and not just extracting the MAC address. From a purely technical point
of view saving all data is probably safest (to save having to drive
around large parts of the country again if you discover a bug in your
analysis code).