POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Screen recording software... : Re: Screen recording software... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Screen recording software...
From: scott
Date: 8 Jul 2013 03:35:33
Message: <51da6bc5@news.povray.org>
> When browsing youtube, it seems that everybody and their grandmother
> is making "let's play" and other kinds of videogame playback footage
> where they both record their gameplay and often a voiceover (and
> sometimes even a secondary picture of themselves eg. from a web camera.)
>
> Yet I have absolutely no idea how they are doing it.

Sounds like you want to do it with free software for now:

Get the free version of fraps (sorry have no experience with
alternatives as I have the paid version of fraps and it works extremely
well), avisynth and xvid4psp. I assume you have something to record
video from your webcam and audio from your microphone.

avisynth is the POV of the video editing world, once you have the video
files taken from your game and from your webcam you can write a simple
avisynth script to resize and overlay them and mix the audio levels.

List of built-in functions here (will give you some idea what is
possible with avisynth):
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Internal_filters

Avisynth scripts (they are just text files with .avs extension) can be
played in a normal media player, but obviously you will want to convert
them to a more standard single-file video format. If you don't want to
get involved with command line encoder options then xvid4psp is easy to
use with a good GUI and plenty of presets for common formats. This is
the only free converter I found that could reliably create video files
the PS3 could play at 1080p, IIRC it has YouTube presets.

You could even use POV if you wanted more complex visual effects.
avisynth will write out all the individual frames of a video to a
folder, and do it the other way round too.