POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mad skillz : Re: Mad skillz Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mad skillz
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 7 Jul 2013 04:36:53
Message: <51d928a5$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> First of all, there *must* be an Emacs mode for this. Because, let's
> face it, there's an Emacs mode for everything else! :-P

Why would there be Emacs mode for a hacker UI? After all, VI is the
editor for hackers.

> Rather than typing at random, I think there should be real keyboard
> commands. Because typing randomly *looks* random, whereas if some of the
> keys actually do something, you'd type more carefully and it would look
> more real.

True.

> Clearly there should be commands to make windows appear and disappear -
> because if TV has taught me anything, it's that hackers never use the
> mouse, and yet are able to operate complex GUI tools using only a keyboard.

Ohh, that true! One should also be able to turn on/off devices (printers
etc) so that theier physical switches just click themselves.

> There should be a "search" option which makes an actual window appear,
> with the data being searched flashing past at great speed - because
> that's how powerful computers search for things. Fingerprints, facial
> recognition, text searches, all of these work by displaying stuff on the
> screen really, really fast, and then freezing as soon as a match is
> found. (Sorry, "hit".)

Agreed. And when the match found, the system should blink multiple
coloured backgrounds behind "HIT" or "MATCH" while beeping simultanously.

> And of course, this isn't 1974. We're not using green-screen dumb
> terminals. There should be syntax highlighting, with 8 colours of ugly
> terminal text. ;-)

Green screen <3. Having the default fg color configured as green
shouldn't stop from having syntax highlighting, though.

> Naturally there should be a button to activate that user interface they
> used in Jurassic Park - because apparently that's what "Unix" looks like.

You.. are aware of SGI Fusion, are you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaRHU1XxMJQ

Hmm, I actually have an Octane... :-)

> Also we need a button which causes Japanese characters to rain down on
> the screen, followed by "follow the White Rabbit, Neo", and then zoom
> through the digits, Matrix style...

When you save and quit, the editor should start dropping the digits to a
bucket with the correct filename. It could also zoom to the digits and
follow them to the bucket.

> What other features should a *proper* hacker UI have?

Add 256 to one (random) byte of every IPv4 address.