POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Screen recording software... : Screen recording software... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  Screen recording software...
From: Warp
Date: 5 Jul 2013 16:04:31
Message: <51d726cf@news.povray.org>
Ok, it's time for me to show my puzzlement and ignorance for a change.

When browsing youtube, it seems that everybody and their grandmother
is making "let's play" and other kinds of videogame playback footage
where they both record their gameplay and often a voiceover (and
sometimes even a secondary picture of themselves eg. from a web camera.)

Yet I have absolutely no idea how they are doing it.

I have been looking for such a software, and I just can't find it.
Being google-savvy isn't of much help. For example, searching for
"screen recording software" isn't, quite to my surprise, very helpful.
Yes, there are tons and tons of pages listing "screen recording software",
but all of them seem to be completely unsuitable for the purpose of
recording gameplay footage, or have stupid limitations.

Just as an example, one of the first hits is a page listing "Top 5 Free
Screen Recording Softwares For Windows".

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/win-screen-recording-softwares/

Selected quotes:

(From Ezvid) "There is no way to export the video you recorded."

(From BlueBerry FlashBack Express Recorder) "Although it requires you to
register (for a free account) after 30 days of usage, it still provides
you with all of its functions before you register."

(From Screenr) "You select an area on your screen which you want to record
(max: 5 minutes)."

(From Rylstim Screen Recorder) "This program does not record sound from
input devices like a microphone."

I have actually tried CamStudio some time ago, but I just couldn't figure
it out. It was completely horrible to set up, and when I tried to record
something, it created an empty video file and a .wav file which, it seems,
contained the actual video footage... in some odd format that couldn't be
played. I was unable to get anything usable from it. (Also, I doubt it can
be used to record gameplay footage.)

Yet, as said, youtube seems to be full of let's play and other similar
videos like it was nothing. I just don't get it.

--
                                                          - Warp