POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mad skillz : Mad skillz Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Mad skillz
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 5 Jul 2013 13:15:18
Message: <51d6ff26$1@news.povray.org>
http://hackertyper.com/
http://hackertyper.net/

The premise is simple: You prod the keyboard at random, and
technical-looking text appears on the screen, as if you're actually
doing something.

Tools like this are fine as far as they go... but I can't help feeling
that they could go a lot further.

First of all, there *must* be an Emacs mode for this. Because, let's
face it, there's an Emacs mode for everything else! :-P

Next, the "text" appears to simply be whatever file the author looked
most cryptic out of the Linux kernel source code. (Some of these tools
let you select some other programming language if you wish.)

Rather than typing at random, I think there should be real keyboard
commands. Because typing randomly *looks* random, whereas if some of the
keys actually do something, you'd type more carefully and it would look
more real.

Clearly there should be commands to make windows appear and disappear -
because if TV has taught me anything, it's that hackers never use the
mouse, and yet are able to operate complex GUI tools using only a keyboard.

(If this sounds absurd, go use FractInt for a few months, and then
imagine something like that, but with a real GUI not just ASCII art.)

There should be a "search" option which makes an actual window appear,
with the data being searched flashing past at great speed - because
that's how powerful computers search for things. Fingerprints, facial
recognition, text searches, all of these work by displaying stuff on the
screen really, really fast, and then freezing as soon as a match is
found. (Sorry, "hit".)

It strikes me that when typing commands, you type from top to bottom,
however when editing source code you usually scroll around all over the
place, inserting text here and deleting text there.

And of course, this isn't 1974. We're not using green-screen dumb
terminals. There should be syntax highlighting, with 8 colours of ugly
terminal text. ;-)

Naturally there should be a button to activate that user interface they
used in Jurassic Park - because apparently that's what "Unix" looks like.

Also we need a button which causes Japanese characters to rain down on
the screen, followed by "follow the White Rabbit, Neo", and then zoom
through the digits, Matrix style...

What other features should a *proper* hacker UI have?