POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you like rum : Re: If you like rum Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you like rum
From: Stephen
Date: 22 Jun 2013 15:14:00
Message: <51c5f778$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/06/2013 6:53 PM, Warp wrote:
 > andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
 >
 >> There was a large teetotaller movement in the first half of the last
 >> century (and before) in the Netherlands and elsewhere. One of the
 >> reasons given (e.g. by my father) was that many poor families were
 >> starving because the men drank all the money. That is still a big
 >> problem in many parts of the world.
 >> My old boss was a teetotaller too. He lost many friends during the war
 >> because of people telling too much under influence.
 >
 > In other words, "knives are being used to kill people, therefore I never
 > touch a knife and never will."

Bad show! Old Chap.

That is not what Andrel said. It was what his old boss may have given as
a reason for not drinking. Many people use statements like that when
people try to force them to drink. They feel under pressure to justify
themselves.

IMO one should ever force anyone to take poisonous substances. Or imply
that there is something wrong with them if they don't.

 > It's a false dichotomy.

It is a poor reading by you of human nature.

--
Regards
     Stephen