POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : If you like rum : Re: If you like rum Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: If you like rum
From: Stephen
Date: 22 Jun 2013 08:24:19
Message: <51c59773$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/06/2013 1:03 PM, andrel wrote:

>>> Fabelhaft
>>>

>> I am not going head to head with a Nederlander. It seems to me that you
>> are all born speaking six languages. ;-)
>>
>> I just meant that we use the French phrase instead of the Latin for that
>> thought.
>>
> sorry I didn't get that. I thought you meant that it was not uncommon.
> So that is why I was happy with the answer.

My fault, it was ambiguous with what I quoted. The subject was not obvious.

> We are not born with six, but most of us have in the education system
> some exposure to four languages Dutch, English, German and French. At
> least when I was young. Nowadays either German or French can apparently
> be replaced by Spanish, Russian, Turkish, Italian or Arab (why not
> chinese?) .

I've worked in Eindhoven and also for Royal Dutch Shell an have always
been impressed by the general standard of Education in the Nederlands.
The first time I encountered it was on a course in Paris. I remarked to
my Dutch companion how bad the tourist soundtrack was in a lift. He
replied that it was okay for me just hearing it one, in English. He had
to listen to it in six languages. (Six might be an exaggeration.)

> I have to admit I also had Latin and some ancient Greek, so that makes
> indeed 6 for me I am afraid ;)

No! Six was not an exaggeration, then. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen