POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sky simulation : Re: Sky simulation Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:27:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sky simulation
From: scott
Date: 19 Jun 2013 10:24:56
Message: <51c1bf38$1@news.povray.org>
> But mcpov has other problems of its own, as Clipka explained some time ago.

The only major one is the diffuse values are out by a factor of 2, I
usually use a macro for setting the finish which outputs either the
vanilla POV syntax (for testing the scene) or the mcpov syntax (for
final render). Incorporating the factor of 2 correction is easy in the
macro.

> I have never met any problems or artefacts when using SunPos so, imho,
> there is no need to divide.

That's just because you never tried to put a sphere at that position
before :-) Also I haven't done a thorough investigation, but the
accuracy issues you run into seem to depend on the size of other objects
in your scene (and maybe the camera setup?). Whilst the /1000 factor for
placing the sphere might work in this particular scene, it may become
invisible again in a different scene (or work fine without the /1000).

I suppose the ultimate solution would be to incorporate the sun in the
sky_sphere pigment at the physically correct brightness (which would
save having to use any arbitrary values for "very far away"), and for
the POV team to implement something similar to the sky importance
sampling in mcpov for the radiosity algorithm (so you don't need a
really high count to reliably pick up the bright sun).

> Maybe, but those are special cases needing special solutions.

I never thought I'd hear a glossy reflective surface being called a
"special case" in a raytracing forum - what next, a checkered plane is
also a special case? :-O

>> At this point I usually fire up mcpov :-)
>
> <grin>

Bring on mcpov merged into POV 3.7 !! If I had the time I'd definitely
give it a shot.