POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth : Re: Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's mirth
From: scott
Date: 13 Jun 2013 03:55:46
Message: <51b97b02$1@news.povray.org>
>> Nobody ever said that buying a house is a quick or easy process. Or
>> cheap...
>
> That's certainly true.  Though right now in our neighborhood, the average
> sale time for a house is about 17 days (we're doing some work on our
> place to get ready to sell it).

Is that the time from when it is placed on the market to finding a
buyer? The problem in the UK is that even once you find a buyer (which,
as with anything, can range from hours to years depending on the price
you are happy to accept) the process after that until you legally own
the house can take forever.

A standard simple sale with no chain or anything complicated to look up
or check about the house could probably be done in a minimum of 4-6
weeks (probably even less if you don't need to borrow from the bank),
that's about how long it took when I bought my first house. I was lucky
because obviously I had no house to sell at the same time and the
sellers already owned another place they were moving into.

However usually many other things complicate and slow down this process.
Most people need to borrow money from a bank to fund the purchase, and
banks will not give out the money until they are satisfied the house is
not going to fall down, sink into the ground, get blown away, flooded,
become radioactive or have a motorway built through it in the next 20
years. Hence there is a mountain of paperwork that needs to be collected
regarding the house before the bank will release the money and the deal
can be closed. This often involves government agencies which are
typically slow to respond.

Now bear in mind that often you need to sell a place to fund the
purchase of your new place, the people selling the house you are about
to buy are also trying to buy another house, so as you can imagine you
can easily end up in a chain of 5 or 10 people who are all looking to
sell and buy at the same time. Chances are there *will* be someone in
the chain that messes things up because they are looking to buy an 18th
century house in the middle of a field that is about to collapse, has no
drainage and the previous owners have died and lost all the paperwork
etc. Or often people simply change their mind about moving house and
then someone in the chain needs to find a new buyer which can add weeks
or months onto the process. Then other people simply give up because
it's taking too long and find another property. People even will try and
screw their buyers right near the end by saying "actually we want £10k
more now for our house else we're pulling out". All sorts of s#!t goes on.