POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth : Re: Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's mirth
From: scott
Date: 10 Jun 2013 03:34:34
Message: <51b5818a$1@news.povray.org>

>> >But the reason for it being unclear was not that it ends in the
>> >preposition. It's because it lacks something.
> Yes, it lacks the object that is referenced.  Now you tell me how to
> construct that sentence with the missing object*without*  putting the
> missing object ahead of the preposition.  Oh, and it has to make sense,
> too.;)

Whether it ends in a preposition or not is irrelevant to whether the
sentence makes sense. The reason "The apple was beside." doesn't make
sense is not because it ends in a preposition, but because there is some
part missing from it. I could easily have said "I moved the box that the
apple was beside." and that would be fine.