POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elements of Geology 3 : Re: Elements of Geology 3 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elements of Geology 3
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Jun 2013 03:18:11
Message: <51b2dab3$1@news.povray.org>
On 8-6-2013 0:02, Shay wrote:
> Whoa. You weren't kidding when you said you've picked up a few things
> along the way.

<grin> Most things just gather dust in a remote corner of the HD. I have
an ambivalent feeling about this. On the one hand, they are tools,
nicely developed by others, more often than not in ways I am unable to
do but which fit well in work I undertake. In that sense they enhance my
creativity and help to achieve my goals without hampering the process.
On the other hand, I feel much indebted to all the people who, over the
years, came up with smart ideas and were willing to share them. My work
is as much the result of their contributions as to my own doings,
sometimes maybe more so. Well, that is of course all right. When you
paint, you also use the canvas, the paint, and the brushes made by
others ;-) At least, I try as much as possible to give credit to
everybody who contributed one way or another to the process.

> The picture looks good. I know you prefer to be left to your own
> creative devices, but I'll offer that this might benefit from some more
> color.

I always accept hints ;-) What I do with them is another story.

I think you are right and I have had that same feeling for a couple of
days now. I believe this mostly has to do with the vegetation in the
valley which is a too uniform green soup. A bit boring indeed. I made
rocks peek through a bit more but that is clearly not enough. What is
needed is a wider range of greens in the trees and in the understory.
Spectacular would be an autumn scene, but that is not my intention here,
so I shall investigate more in the direction of pale yellow green and
darker shades.

As far as the rocks are concerned, I think they should remain as they
are, subdued shades of grey and browns.

Thomas