POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Glowing Plasma : Re: Glowing Plasma Server Time
1 Jun 2024 22:36:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glowing Plasma
From: Alain
Date: 7 Jun 2013 13:34:13
Message: <51b21995$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi,
>
> I have activated radiosity with the default settings and modified my plasma:
> union{
>          sphere{ 0,1
>                  pigment { rgbt 1 } hollow
>                  interior{
>                          media{
>                                  emission 6
>                                  density{
>                                          spherical density_map{
>                                                  [0 rgb 0]
>                                                  [0.1 rgb <.5,.1,.5>]
>                                                  [0.2 rgb <1,.8,1>]
>                                                  [1 rgb 1]
>                                          }
>                                  }
>                          }
>                  }
>          }
>          light_source{0 color rgb<1,0,1> area_light 0.6*x 0.6*z 5 5 circular
>          orient adaptive 0}
>          scale <0.4,.5,.4>
> }
>
> The results are now way better. I will check the other advices next week.

Another advice:
Declare your plasma as an object like this:
#declare Plasma=union{.....}

That way, you only have to define ot once if you want yo use several
plasma "flames".

You can now use "Plasma" by itself to place that object at it's default
location, or use:
object{Plasma rotate Rotation translate Location}

to place it anywhere you want.

You should place your scale statement before the light. Uneven scaling
don't play well with circular area_light. It generate a warning and undo
the uneven scaling. It can result in unexpected behaviour.

Alain