POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth : Re: Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's mirth
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Jun 2013 04:56:36
Message: <51b1a044$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/06/2013 5:38 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 08:17:01 -0500, Shay wrote:
>
>> Most Americans wouldn't know what bespoke means.
>
> That's true enough.  The first time I heard it, I had no idea what it
> meant - but most Americans wouldn't bother to look it up or ask,
> either. :)
>
> Jim

IM(ns)HO “bespoke” is a marketing ploy. It is used to give your client
(customer) a feeling that they are getting something special, tailored
to their individual and exacting requirements. As opposed to something
out of the box or off the shelf, customised to fulfil their requirements.
It harks back to the days, as you will all have read, of “gentlemen’s
clothing”. When the only choices in “bought” clothing was ready made,
handmade (modified readymade) and bespoke. Until recently it was only
used by the chinless wonder type.

On a recent job in America it became common to hear Americans use it
albeit self-consciously.

--
Regards
     Stephen