POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : basaltic columns : Re: basaltic columns Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: basaltic columns
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Jun 2013 07:22:49
Message: <51af1f89$1@news.povray.org>
On 5-6-2013 12:50, s.day wrote:
> Working on an entry for tc-rtc, I am not entirely pleased at the moment
> (although not sure how to improve the image).
>
> I think I am just not totally happy with most things..

It is a good start, though.

> The breaking wave (media) is not really how I would like it but am not sure how
> to improve it.

The most obvious problem I guess, is that it looks like a freak event.
Not that the sea seems calm (good waves by the way) but that the wave
height seems not high/strong enough for that kind of braking. The media
looks good, maybe not too realistic for this kind of thing but close.
You may need to experiment with different density patterns perhaps. How
about marble or agate?

> The columns would ideally be more random in shape (not a problem) but if I make
> them more random in shape I then cannot get them to stack together close enough
> to make them realistic. The compromise is these rather too uniform columns.

In terms of size, the Giant's Causeway in Ireland shows rather uniform
columns. It is indeed the shape that varies more although not too
randomly. If you could squeeze in a few irregular hexagons or even
parallelepipeds, that would probably be enough.

Also, randomize more the /sides/ of the /causeway/  :-)

> For some reason my texture applied to the sea to provide the breaking/foam near
> the rocks does not blend/fade very well in the z direction, it seems to just
> stop (maybe at the intersections of each height field). I expect I am doing
> something wrong here but have not tracked down the issue yet.

Not too obvious, but now you mentioned it...

> The sky is not how I want it yet but again am struggling, may have to switch to
> media clouds I guess instead of stacked planes..

I like this though.

Thomas