POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elements of Geology 3 : Re: Elements of Geology 3 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elements of Geology 3
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 4 Jun 2013 03:33:40
Message: <51ad9854$1@news.povray.org>
On 3-6-2013 21:20, Samuel Benge wrote:
> It's looking good, Thomas. The foreground is nicely detailed. Are you using or
> planning to use backside illumination for the grass/small plants? The distant
> cliffsides could use some surface normals, perhaps aligned with the strata.
> Other than that, everything's shaping up nicely :)

Thanks Sam. Backside illumination is something I have to look into
indeed. Good suggestion. The cliff normals is also something on the todo
list; there is a general normal there but some detailed alignment is
certainly in order.

> Since springtime has come I've been hiking the hills. I just discovered that our
> area produces opalescent quartz, some of it flawless (but very small). So I've
> been searching for a good source, but the geology of our area has spread the
> bedrock around quite a bit before actually pushing the stuff up to the surface.
> The logging trails also confuse the matter.

Interesting. Sources may be difficult to find as the geology in your
area is rather complex. Stream beds may not be a bad place to look I
guess, not like gold placers of course, but in areas were some pebble
size sorting has been active.

> Other than that, I've been distracted by the new version of Blender, and have
> been learning as much of it as I can. Which, of course, means I haven't taken
> the time to work on my challenge entries! So I really hope we have more than 13
> days left :)

Still on my todo...

Thomas