POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iScream : Re: iScream Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iScream
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 1 Jun 2013 04:30:54
Message: <51a9b13e$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/06/2013 08:48 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> today it's all about clouds... a model from the 1950 era: renting the
> remote computing power (and no control about update/upgrade at the
> customer side).

I notice that the computing field seems to be cyclical in this manner.

Once upon a time it was all about having a huge mainframe in the middle
and lots of dumb terminals dangling off it. That was the way to go. You
could have a team of experts maintaining the mainframe, and each user
only has to worry about their own work.

Then came the rise of the personal computer (which, I'm told, the
establishment regarded as little more than a cute toy). Now you can
incrementally add more computer power by incrementally adding more
computers. One person's work can't affect anybody else, different people
can have different applications installed, and so forth.

Then with the invention of the network [or rather, the financial
feasibility of ubiquitous networking], it was all about the servers
again. File servers, print servers, email servers, database servers,
source control servers. Some folks even wanted to install all their
applications on a sever and have the desktops run them over the network.

Then people started with virtualisation. Can't install two versions of
the same application on one desktop? Run two virtual machines. With
guest tools, you can make it nearly painless to swap files between the
multiple VMs. You only need one PC.

But then VMs became portable. You can move a VM from one physical
machine to another, and the VM doesn't need to know or care. Run it on
the server, run it on the desktop, run it on a different desktop,
whatever. Add in VNC or RDP and you can run everything remotely, on
infinity virtual servers and get maximum utilisation out of your
physical server investments.

And now it's iCloud. Amazon EC2. Rack Serve. SkyDrive. If it's not
cloud-based, it's old hat.

Really, it seems to be that there are two models: centralised and
decentralised. Both have advantages and disadvantages. And "the
industry" goes through cycles of singing the virtues and wailing the
vices of the two in cycles. It's kind of amusing to watch...