POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 3d-wallpaper-like renderings : Re: 3d-wallpaper-like renderings Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:29:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3d-wallpaper-like renderings
From: Alain
Date: 31 May 2013 22:16:50
Message: <51a95992@news.povray.org>

> Thanks for the advice for using media -- I'll certainly take this into account
> in my next image. (I'm really grateful, if this reduces my render-time a little)
>
> I fear, I described the problem of the reflection wrong .. the problem wasn't,
> that the reflection was blurred, neither, that i wanted it to be blurred.
> The problem was, that the media wasn't reflected. (I blurred it to avoid, that
> this problem attracted too much attention.)
>
> I attached a small image, which i hope describes the problem better. On the left
> is the image, PovRay rendered .. and on the right is, what I think, the Image
> should look like. Propably I just didn't set some value the right way -- or have
> some error in my understanding of the reflection of light.

Not realy "reflection of light" but rather reflection of illuminated or
emissive media.

> (I get the feeling, this isn't the right place to ask questions -- more like, to
> show images -- so ... sorry if i use this to get this question answered)
It's OK to ask question relative to an image.

There may be a problem if your media container is much to large or there
is no container at all.

Try enclosing your cube inside a box about 2 to 5 times larger. It need
to be as small as possible while containing all the visible media.
Make is "hollow" with "pigment{rgbt 1}".

The goal is to prevent any ray to extend to infinity while traveling in
the media: Reatching the background. When this appen, there is no way to
acurately evaluate the effect of the media.

It's also possible that your reflection is set to low. Try "reflection
0.5" and see if it's beter.

Check your max_trace_level. If the post render message say something
like 5/5, it's probable that your rays are going through to many
reflection or transparences with reflection, refraction, or objects with
an interior block.
Just a test, try adding max_trace_level 255 in your global_settings block.

Alain