POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Continuing Blender-PovRay discussion : Re: Continuing Blender-PovRay discussion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Continuing Blender-PovRay discussion
From: Stephen
Date: 28 May 2013 06:40:51
Message: <51a489b3$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/05/2013 10:11 AM, James Holsenback wrote:
> On 05/28/2013 03:39 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> Not too sure what you mean when you say "saving", saving what?
>
> saving the imported 3ds object as .blender file first before doing a
> povray render from with-in blender ... more of a curiosity on my part
> than anything else because of the problem that i'm seeing!

That is what I thought you meant but I wanted to be sure.
It does not seem to make any difference to me.
Import > render - Okay
Import > save > render - Okay

What version are you using?
Blender seems to be updated daily and I now appreciate PovRay's version
control, more than ever.

My problem (one of them ;-) ) was scenes that I had created before
activating the PovRay addon did not render with Pov. But exporting the
models then importing them as meshes would allow me to render them in Pov.

>> If I export a mesh as 3ds then import it, some objects are displaced.
>
> it /seems/ to be with how the object was built. now i'm speaking in pov.
> -z behind, -x left +x right.
>
> example: my current project 8 melted candles on a box, wax dripping down
> over the edge.  the candles are roughly in two rows and the x position
> is flipped: instead of 1-2-3-4 i get 2-1-4-3. i took each of the candles
> (and wicks) cleared rotation, location, scale and origin, then properly
> built the object centered at 0,0,0 the placed them in the scene. setting
> of the origin seems key. now i'm able to select the wick of each candle
> then snap 3d cursor to the wick for /proper/ location information,
> because in povray i'm going to place a media/light source flame on each
> candle.

That makes sense. I do try to create things at the origin. But it is too
easy to right click instead of left clicking to select. And change the
location of the 3D cursor.

>> Question:
>> How do you pass commands from Blender to PovRay. Such as output types
>> and save file?
>
> the render options tab (little camera)

Thanks. :-)
>> How do you pass PovRay materials in Blender?
>
> i don't do that ... usually just add simple texture to identify in
> scene. i do material work either in pose or pov ... ray

Yes I remember. But since I am starting out I'll try to do things properly.

>> I'm too new to Blender I should not be trying to run before I can walk.
>> But heigh ho! that's life.
>
> for sure i'm no expert either

I am too old to be able to spend the time becoming an expert. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen