POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Continuing Blender-PovRay discussion : Re: Continuing Blender-PovRay discussion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Continuing Blender-PovRay discussion
From: James Holsenback
Date: 28 May 2013 05:11:41
Message: <51a474cd@news.povray.org>
On 05/28/2013 03:39 AM, Stephen wrote:
> Not too sure what you mean when you say "saving", saving what?

saving the imported 3ds object as .blender file first before doing a
povray render from with-in blender ... more of a curiosity on my part
than anything else because of the problem that i'm seeing!

> If I export a mesh as 3ds then import it, some objects are displaced.

it /seems/ to be with how the object was built. now i'm speaking in pov.
-z behind, -x left +x right.

example: my current project 8 melted candles on a box, wax dripping down
over the edge.  the candles are roughly in two rows and the x position
is flipped: instead of 1-2-3-4 i get 2-1-4-3. i took each of the candles
(and wicks) cleared rotation, location, scale and origin, then properly
built the object centered at 0,0,0 the placed them in the scene. setting
of the origin seems key. now i'm able to select the wick of each candle
then snap 3d cursor to the wick for /proper/ location information,
because in povray i'm going to place a media/light source flame on each
candle.

> If I export a mesh as Obj then import it, it is fine.
> Both methods loose any hierarchies built using "empty" objects.
> Using 3ds I have to scale up by 100 after importing.
> 3ds imported model is not as smooth as the Obj one. (See attached image,
> 3ds is the one at the top. Incidentally Blender hung after Pov rendered
> this and I had to cheat to render it to post it here.)
>
> Question:
> How do you pass commands from Blender to PovRay. Such as output types
> and save file?

the render options tab (little camera)

> How do you pass PovRay materials in Blender?

i don't do that ... usually just add simple texture to identify in
scene. i do material work either in pose or pov ... ray

> I'm too new to Blender I should not be trying to run before I can walk.
> But heigh ho! that's life.

for sure i'm no expert either