POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gancaloon: Old City street new version : Re: Gancaloon: Old City street new version Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gancaloon: Old City street new version
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 27 May 2013 10:58:03
Message: <51a3747b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 16.05.2013 09:27, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> I can readily appreciate the similarities in purpose, although no brain
> damage in my case - as far as I know ;-) but the compulsion to create
> one's own world is there and I have felt it strongly my whole life.

Same with me... it started quite early in my childhood days - anybody

saw him drawing colorful topographic maps of imaginary places... back

world populated by immortal, hyper-intelligent children but also at
constant war with a Darth Vader-like oppressor...

Unfortunately, none of these countless maps (there were physical as well
as thematic maps, also city maps) survived until today, as my parents
back then were quite uneasy about my vivid imagination, so they threw
away all those maps I had drawn between 1977 and 1983.

At 21, a fellow student who studied linguistics and started a
collaborative Tolkien-ish fantasy project, inspired me to re-create M
720 (now to be called "Ilthanalg" - "planet of the Sacred Number") and
even to develop an own language for its people; so I drew several global
maps (physical, political, temperatures, precipitation and vegetation.

I scanned those maps when my computer equipment became sophisticated
enough during the 1990s... but then lost them all to a catastrophic
Windows crash. But nevertheless, I think I'm still able to re-draw them
from memory... and I also have written a lengthy introduction to
Ilthanalg, currently only in German, but I hope to get it translated in
the not-too-distant future.

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar